News Blog / Monthly Archives: June 2018

What You Need to Know About Getting a Liquor License in Dallas, TX

Whether you’re a bartender, mixologist, alcohol server or alcohol seller or thinking about starting a career as one here in Texas, it’s important that you have the proper training to adhere to state laws. You also need to acquire your liquor license and Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) certification.

If you are new to the business end of the food and beverage industry—or getting back into the game after some time away—you probably have a host of questions and concerns. Do you really need a liquor permit? How long does it take to get a liquor license? Here’s what you need to know about getting a liquor license in Dallas, TX.

The importance of acquiring a liquor permit

To sell or serve alcohol in Texas, you must first get a liquor permit—but why do you need one? It’s because the TABC wants all alcohol sellers and servers to have credibility, which licensing provides. Alcohol sellers and servers go through a comprehensive training program in order to get a license. The program teaches them liquor laws, the ins and outs of selling and serving alcohol, the legal actions they could face if caught distributing alcoholic beverages to minors and so much more.

There are two types of Texas permits: liquor licenses and beer licenses. And it’s not just restaurants and clubs that have to have them—keep in mind that if you sell or serve alcohol on an airplane, on a train or in a convenience store, for example, you also need to be licensed. Additionally, you’ll need a permit to hold a fundraiser or event where alcohol will be served. The fact is, any permanent or temporary business offering alcohol sales or service has to carry the proper license, and its employees should be TABC-certified.

How to get a license

According to the TABC, it typically takes 45 to 60 days to get a liquor license, and you have to pay applicable license and permit fees. But first, you should sign up for alcohol license training. In Texas, a number of classes are offered at on-site locations as well as online. Completing your training online eliminates long drives and costly fees, making this option perfect for folks who are busy but want to learn a new skill. Get your license after taking training courses in the manner that works best with your schedule!

Texas liquor laws

Many people have commented about Texas’s occasionally confusing liquor laws. In general, a person needs to be 21 years old to drink alcohol, 18 years old to sell or serve alcohol as an employee and the legal limit for blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is .08. Texas also has wet and dry counties, and counties with a combination of rules, and there are laws concerning the local purchase and drinking of alcohol that apply to these counties as well. Then, there are state laws for transporting open containers, bringing your own alcohol to an event or establishment and consuming alcohol on- and off-premises.

Contact the team at LaBarba Permit Service to learn more about getting a liquor license in Dallas, TX!

Can You Sell Drinks at Outdoor Events?

We know that restaurants, clubs and other establishments that sell or serve alcohol need to have a liquor license in order to do so. In addition, owners and employees working around alcohol should also have undergone the proper training to ensure the business operates legally and safely.

However, do the same standards apply to people and businesses that want to sell or serve alcohol temporarily at outdoor events? This becomes a serious curiosity as the temperatures rise here in Texas and everyone wants to gather together outside and soak in the sun. Do your research before taking advantage of the opportunity to sell wine, liquor or cold beer outside at your event!

Here’s a good question to ask your liquor license consultant in Dallas, TX: Can you sell alcoholic beverages at outdoor events? Let’s go over a few pertinent points:

  • Food trucks and trailers: Outdoor events like concerts and sports games taking place during the warmer months are packed with fans wanting to cool off. While it would seem okay to simply haul some icy beers and frozen alcoholic beverages to events to sell, it’s not something you can do legally in Texas.
  • Liquor license conundrum: Even though you have a legal mobile business, you cannot obtain a liquor license if your food truck moves from location to location around town serving customers. Why is this? Well, it’s because a Texas liquor license can only be issued to a business with a physical address. That is, you need a fixed location like a restaurant or club. Since food trucks are mobile, they don’t have an address, so unless they operate from the same physical address, they cannot get a liquor license.
  • Selling drinks as a vendor: There is, however, a way you can be outdoors selling alcohol as a vendor. You can sell outdoors if you already have a liquor license for a restaurant or other type of establishment and you’re participating in a civic event being put on by your local government. These types of events typically have barriers, like portable fences or walls, to keep people with drinks within event boundaries. At these events, restaurants have a booth or tent for food sales, but can also sell alcoholic beverages with a Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) temporary permit.
  • Private facilities: In Texas, you can submit an application for permission to obtain a permit to sell alcohol at private sporting facilities that maintain their own fields, like soccer clubs and golf courses. These facilities are usually fenced in and have physical addresses, so owners can get liquor licenses.
  • TABC catering license: If you have a TABC liquor license for your business, you have the option to obtain a TABC catering license as well. With this license you can set up a cash bar at special events, but only events located in wet counties. You can also cater a wedding and sell drinks in some areas.

If you want to meet with a liquor license consultant in Dallas, TX, call LaBarba Permit Service. We are here to help you obtain your license from the TABC!

LaBarba Permit Service: Cutting Red Tape Since 1965℠